Macy’s Inc. (M) is one of the most well-known retail chains in the United States, operating Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s department stores as well as Macy’s Backstage, Bloomingdale’s, Bloomingdale’s Outlet and Bluemercury franchises.According to its annual report, the company has a total of 775 stores in operation. Macy’s is the largest retail brand with approximately 550 stores.
In the 2019 annual report, the company reported sales of 24.971 billion U.S. dollars and 123,000 employees for the 2018 fiscal year, which is the latest data available.Macy’s has become news by closing many retail stores across the country, but the company continues to provide customers with its brand and many credit card options.
Macy’s Credit Card
Macy’s provides customers with two credit card options, Macy’s credit card and Macy’s American Express card. Macy’s credit card can only be used in any Macy’s or Macy’s back-end store or online; it cannot be used in any Bloomingdale’s. Macy’s American Express cards can be used anywhere that American Express cards are accepted. Customers can apply for a Macy’s credit card online or in person at the store, and should expect to provide the personal information that is usually provided when applying for a credit card.
- Macy’s has two types of credit cards: regular Macy’s card and Macy’s American Express card.
- All Macy’s/Macy’s American Express card purchases will allow cardholders to join the retailer’s three-tier Star Rewards loyalty program, with privileges including purchase discounts, free shipping and reward refunds.
- You don’t need to have a Macy’s credit card to earn points in the Macy’s loyalty program.
Macy’s card rewards and benefits
Macy’s improved its Star Rewards membership loyalty program in 2017. It now offers its cardholders three different levels of benefits (silver, gold and platinum), depending on the amount they spend each year.Macy’s claimed that its changes had produced beneficial results, with spending by top platinum-level people increasing by 10%.
The levels are:
- Silver level: Using the Star Pass coupons provided to cardholders, customers who spend no more than $499 per year can enjoy a 25% discount on merchandise purchases on any day of their choice.
- Gold level: This level is for customers who spend between US$500 and US$1,199 per year. The benefits of spending on this scale include a 25% discount on purchases using Star Pass coupons on any day of their choice, and free shipping on any purchase (no minimum requirements).
- Platinum: This is the highest level possible and only applies to customers who spend $1,200 or more in Macy’s every year. These customers can get all the privileges provided by the Silver and Gold levels, and they can also get a 5% reward for each purchase. Unlike the retailer’s iconic red silver and gold cards, platinum cards are platinum.
The new account enters the silver layer. When you spend enough to enter the next level, assuming you have not returned the eligible purchases within that time frame, you will be automatically upgraded after 7 days. After upgrading, you will remain in that status for the remainder of the year and the next full calendar year (unless you upgrade to a higher status).
Other Macy’s cards and benefits
Macy’s American Express card enables users to qualify for silver, gold and platinum levels when used at Macy’s, but it provides more benefits. When used outside of Macy’s, it follows the 3-2-1 rule: when you spend in restaurants, the card provides 3% rewards for its members, 2% rewards for shopping in grocery stores and gas stations, and 1 % Rewards for any other purchases.
Interestingly, in 2018, Macy’s also launched a bid-neutral option, adding more than 3 million new members to the loyalty program. This option means that customers can participate in the loyalty program without a Macy’s credit card, regardless of how they pay.
They are eligible for the so-called Bronze level at Macy’s, and receive allowances and concessions such as savings passes, and even get birthday surprises every year like higher-level cardholders.You can stay at the Bronze level without any consumer qualifications, but you cannot upgrade to the Silver level without opening a Macy’s account.
Apply for a Macy’s credit card
You apply for Macy’s and American Express cards at the same time, and then choose the one you want.After credit inquiries and approval, applicants with two credit cards can also save 20% on shopping on the same day and the next day, saving up to $100.
As of July 2019, the variable annual interest rates for Macy’s credit cards and Macy’s American Express cards are both 27.49%, and late fees or return fines can be up to $40.
Many retailers offer both their proprietary cards and co-branded cards. But Macy’s seems to be particularly competing with its own card, offering the same rewards as American Express’s partners on the one hand, and some rewards that don’t have a card at all on the other.
The best applicants for a Macy’s credit card are regular customers of Macy’s, who already have an American Express card or don’t want one. Since the minimum level of reward is $1, any average shopper will benefit from the card. Shoppers who wish to have a more versatile plastic sheet should consider using Macy’s American Express card.